Chicken and Dumplings
Makes 4 servings
Chicken and Dumplings Ingredients:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chucks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- One 20-ounce package peeled and diced butternut squash
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2 sprigs dill plus 2 tablespoons chipped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup lowfat (1 percent ) milk
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Sprinkle the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and add to the hot oil.
- Cook, stirring, until the chicken is no longer pink on the outside but is not cooked through.
- wait about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon, reserving the oil in the pan.
- Stir in the squash, celery and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft.
- Wait about 5 minutes, then add the broth, dill sprigs and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium to maintain a steady simmer. Simmer until a knife easily pierces through the squash for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the floor, baking soda. 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a small bowl. With your fingertips, cut the butter into the flour until the mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Stir in the milk just until a dough forms.
- Stir the chicken and peas into the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Drop the dough into the simmering broth by teaspoons, spacing them evenly to make about 16 dumplings. Cover and simmer on medium low for 5 minutes.
- Uncover and simmer until the dumplings are cooked through, about 3 minutes.
- Discard the dill sprigs.
- Top with chopped dill and serve