The kettlebell swing is an explosive lower body exercise. The kettlebell swing builds a strong lower back, most significantly, Dr. Stuart McGill found kettlebell swings show a reversed polarity of posterior shear at L4 and L5 when compared to traditional posterior chain exercises, it’s also a great exercise to build glutes and hamstrings and develops your grip. When performed for high reps it is a killer conditioning exercise and if done for lower reps, it is a fantastic movement to build explosive power.
- Stand at shoulder width with a kettlebell several feet in front of your body.
- Drive your butt back while keeping your shins close to vertical and reaching forward for the kettlebell with your arms.
- Pull the kettlebell back towards your pelvis while flexing your lats and maintaining a neutral spine.
- Stand up explosively and exhale.
- Hike the kettlebell back towards your pelvis and stand up again explosively for as many repetitions as desired.